Thursday, June 30, 2011

Faking it for the Cause

You are the reason I offer praise in the great assembly; I will fulfill my promises before the LORD's loyal followers. -Psalms 22:25
What's your reason? Some of you may not know I sing on the PM worship team at Capital Community every Sunday. We are on the stage as leaders, we have to give our best in worship even when we don't feel like it (and yes, there are times we don't feel like it) we have to open the door and step into the presence hoping the congregation will follow. But one thing we cannot allow to shift out of place is our reason, the purpose of our worship.


I need to be an example of worship but I cannot exemplify anything if I am faking it for the cause... If my worship doesn't extend past the stage I stand on a few times a week into my daily living I cannot lead people.  I cannot win-over the ones I am hurting with my attitude, harsh words or Facebook & Twitter updates. Remember this song from Sunday school "be careful little eyes what you see. Be careful little mouth what you say?"  That song should still apply now that we are "grown up." (or older haha!) Now would be a good time to refer back to one of my blogs last month if you haven't already read it or need your memory refreshed... Jar of Hearts 


My worship must come from a thankful heart full of appreciation, reverence and love. My worship must not depend on my location, it must not depend on who is watching or what anyone expects of me or even what I expect from others, (can I get an amen?) it must not depend on my obligation to lead... And although all these can push in the right direction it's a thin line we must be careful not to cross.  If our worship does depend on any of these things or is lending itself toward them we should be thinking of stepping out of the spotlight whether for a moment or an extended period longer (spotlight may be a good fast to go on) until we see His light more clearly and have a change of dependence. My worship must only depend on one thing; the God who's worthy of more than i can offer, the God who loved me before I knew He existed, the only one true God who's name is Jesus! 

No comments: