Thursday, August 1, 2013

Skinned Knees and Change

What's going on!? It feels like forever since I've written anything for you guys... I know, in reality it was just last week... I think it must be the business of summer :o)  Oh why can't we have summer all year round!?  Ha!
 
Little update on me: I've been taking another course... Last summer photography (which I've pretty much let go by the wayside, I did learn and apply those tips but I just don't think I'm a picture taker in general.  I actually am not sure what I was looking for from this course, actually, all I knew about it was that it is called "Unglued." It's a course just for women (haha, men, haha!) and I guess I was thinking along the lines of becoming "unglued for God" not in the mad sort of way but rather in the letting nothing hold you back sort of way, you know, girl power for Jesus!  Nope... Well, I suppose we may get to that, I've only gone to our first class... And even what we are learning about ourselves will help us with relationship with Christ.  The first thing Kathy (our teacher) said was "this is going to be a thinking class... Lots of deep thoughts required" and I know reading this you may think that was sarcasm but far from it... All I could think - after working all day, not taking lunch and adding almost an hour and a half at the end of my shift, running home to change and go without supper - was "this is NOT what I signed up for..." We even have homework!
 
During the class - in spite of my, shall we say, dampened spirits - I learned a lot about myself... Nothing I didn't know but the knowledge was somewhere under the surface.  But what I learned of myself isn't what I want to share with you at this point... Rather, a question that caught my attention.

What are some words that come to mind when you think about "CHANGE?"

 
I have someone in my life that may be making some decisions very soon that will cause big changes for her... It's a situation that is sort of sprung on her and not her decisions that put it all in motion... I'm sure she will consider what's best for her in many ways and most importantly what God wants.  Of course, I put myself in her shoes and although making the decisions she is about to make and experiencing the changes that seem to be coming her way seems like a great idea to me as an objective person in the situation, if it were me I would likely be ill! No, really, haha! Big changes are something I need to think about for a long time and then one day, without planning the day or time just do.  This situation allows no time for planning really and things will change in a big way no matter what it's just which direction she wants things to go... So, of course the word I thought of last night and think of with regards to this situation is F-E-A-R!  Change is (or at least can be) scary!
 
 So, now a question I want to pose to us all:  "should fear stop us?"  And of course we all know the obvious answer is "no" but just take some time to think it through with me... Yes, you fear the unknown, I mean what if it doesn't work out the way I think? What if have to go back to the way things were after realizing the change wasn't 'for me?' What if although I can list all the reasons I should make a change, God is staying quite silent and leaving this decision up to me? What if I make the wrong decision and take a step in the wrong direction?  Well.... Go back.  See, here's the thing, God is trying to grow-us-up just like any parent with their children, although he can give us all the answers it wouldn't benefit us in the long run... Yes, sometimes children make a wrong choice, sometimes they take a step too far and fall down and skin their little legs but if the parent is watching - like God watches us - the child is never in actual danger...  Sometimes God wants us to have skinned knees so that we learn a lesson.  Can you imagine, God wanting us to skin our knees!?  Well, better a skinned knee than a broken leg (I'm sure some parent has said that at some point) and I think we need to allow ourselves the same room God does... I understand that fear and that want for perfection but we need to be realists, and perfection only belongs to God. Sometimes we will get skinned knees but sometimes we can only step into our true destiny by stepping over fear first!



No comments: