Thursday, December 29, 2011

New Year, New Me!


Hello my little munchkins! Can you tell I'm a little excited to be back to the blog world?  I'm sorry I didn't warn you of my break but I thought you would figure it out! Merry Christmas, jingle bells and all that stuff... Oh, plus my birthday! 
Grampie (in the sweater I got him for Christmas) & I on my Birthday.
Now I'm back and hoping to start the New Year off right! (Yes, I do realize we aren't quite there yet... But let's get prepared!)  A friend sent me an e-mail with "30 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself" and I thought it would be a good thing to read and apply to 2012! Of course you all know when I'm working on myself I share with you so hopefully if you don't attack it all you will find some piece of sanity in my ramblings you can better your own life with! I have added my own thoughts to the e-mail and taken some away but all in all I hope you really enjoy these readings as I am! Oh yes, I should have mentioned before now, this "New Year, New Me!" blog will be a series... I'm not sure how long, just keep reading :o) I love you all and here it is:

Stop putting your own needs on the back burner – The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too. Yes, help others (I think we all know I'm a big proponent of this!) but help yourself too. I always feel bad when I see a mom who doesn't take any time out for herself... And angry with the husband who isn't quite bright or caring enough to see a couple hours alone or out would do amazing things for her, as well as the family... Something my boss says frequently is "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy!" I think it's true, not because mama doesn't want anyone else to be happy but if you are continuously pouring yourself out for others but not taking the time to get refilled yourself you will soon be empty and no one can benefit from that. If there was ever a moment to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, whether it be reading a book, drawing a bubble bath, going out for some retail therapy (okay so maybe not this close to Christmas you may want to save that one for a month or two haha!), writing a book, going for a walk or create something of your own, that moment is now.

Stop spending time with the wrong people – I know I just wrote about this before my Christmas/Birthday break from blogging but it's something that we have to look at in our own lives at least once a year... And since there is a New Year just around the corner why not now?  Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you. If someone wants you in their life, they’ll make room for you.  It's a hard lesson to learn and I think I was in the "special education system" for this one, but friends aren't friends if they don't have the time to even text you once in a while to see how you are doing... I'm not an advocate for testing people, I think if you feel the need to test someone it's most likely because you already know they are failing but something I once used to find out if I mattered to people was just stop trying for a bit... I just put my effort for friendship aside, stopped inviting, emailing, calling or texting and some of the people I thought were my friends never really spoke to me again... FAIL! But here's the point:  you shouldn’t have to fight for a spot in some one's life. Never ever insist yourself to someone who continuously overlooks your worth. And remember, it’s not the people that stand by your side when you’re at your best but the ones who stand beside you when you’re at your worst that are your true friends.

Stop running from your problems – Face them head on. Yikes, this is a serious blog!  It can seem so much easier to run except that when you finally stop to take a breath the problem is there tapping on the back door of your mind and you're probably going to be too tired to fight back... No facing problems won’t be easy and, frankly, there is no person in the world capable of flawlessly handling every punch thrown at them. We aren’t supposed to be able to instantly solve problems. That’s not how we’re made. In fact, we’re made to get upset, sad, hurt, stumble and fall because that’s the whole purpose... To learn to to face problems, get up when we've been knocked down, learn from mistakes, adapt ourselves, and solve every problem with prayer over the course of time. Another rather sucky truth: falling down and scraping our knees is part of learning to walk much like problems and mistakes along the journey what ultimately mold us into the person we become.

Stop lying – You can lie to anyone in the world but why would you... Let's face it, just as mama taught us when we were younger, it's hard to keep the story straight when one lie piles on another. "Oh what a tangled web we weave. When first we practice to deceive" - Sir Walter Scott, 1st Baronet. Just as important as the lesson mother taught us, perhaps, is learning not to lie to ourselves... Whether it be when we look in the mirror or to the heart.  I know, as well as you all, it's scary to face truth about ourselves but to grow we must!  Don't be too hard on yourself either, usually we are much more critical of our own being than we would be with anyone else because of that I always think if I saw this in a friend would I be concerned? If the answer is no, don't worry about it... If it is yes, make an action plan and conscience effort to change.  Change, unfortunately is a lot of discipline, mistakes, try agains and work but if you are persistent it is possible!  Our lives improve only when we take chances, and the first and most difficult chance we can take is to be honest with ourselves. Read The Road Less Traveled.

No comments: