Monday, December 5, 2011

Invation to a Taste Test!

I just read on Twitter... The source of all information you need! haha! Well okay, not quite... It's Walt Disney's birthday! I'm not sure if that implies the company or the man but whichever works for me. I decided today's blog would be based on a Disney quote and of course I go to Disney Words on Twitter for that!  And this is what I've got for my favorite people today:

I've been asked before, referring to living a Christian lifestyle and having a relationship with Christ if I "just do it because that's how [I] was brought up?" Funny question really... I used to live a Christian lifestyle because that is how I was brought up... Well until I was about nine years old and my dad left, at least.  My mama did the best she could to raise me up in the way I should go but I have to admit to not making it easy for her.  It wasn't until my last year of middle school (that was grade 9 back then haha!) I decided I wanted to be a Christian for myself not just because that is the faith most of my family believe... Even then, nothing seemed to come easy for me... I have always been a quick learner and been able to learn from the mistakes of others but for some reason my walk with God was not quite as easy... Does that mean it's not meant to be? Shouldn't it come easily? Well, I have two responses to those questions really: 1. I take from Mary Poppins "That’s a pie crust promise. Easily made, easily broken." via Disney Words, Twitter. And I definitely don't want an easily broken relationship with Christ.  2. As an answer I pose a question "Was the cross easy for Christ?" Of course not! So if it wasn't easy for Him to start the relationship with us why should it be easy for us to grow in a relationship with Him?

I'm not saying a relationship with God is all storms and rocks but I am saying any relationship worth having will cost you something and take commitment to endure storms that may come your way... And this relationship is definitely worth having!  I can honestly tell you that if you have any doubt about whether or not you should try a relationship with God for yourself, any of those "is it really worth it?", "is it real?" or even hesitation because of past experience with a "Christian" who you didn't think was very Christian-like you should try Him! It is worth anything I've ever had to give in exchange and more! My life since Him has been so much better than any moment prior! He has helped me become someone I actually like, someone my family is proud of and someone who would actually have something to give in relationships.  There is a verse in Psalm 34:8 "By experience you will see that the Lord is good; happy is the man [or woman] who has faith in him!" (Bible in Basic English translation)

I once explained a relationship with God to my boss in this way:  "Asking me to explain what it's like, what you feel, the changes and possibilities that come with a relationship with God is like asking me to explain what peach ice cream tastes like if you've only been fed through a feeding tube and have lived in one of those plastic, temperature controlled bubbles all your life." I know that's probably not the best answer and certainly not the answer he may have been hoping for or you were expecting to read... But I further explained this "how could I explain the freshness of a peach without you having any tasting pallet to compare it to? How would I explain the creaminess of the ice cream or even it's coldness on your tongue if you've not felt so much as a cool breeze on your skin? It's the same thing with trying to explain a relationship with God if you have nothing to compare Him to. I can only say it's better than any other relationship I've ever experienced, you would think it's less tangible but once you've seen Him work a miracle he's more real than anything else you've touched or seen! So all I can say, is you have to experience it for yourself and see how great it is!"  And that's what I want to say to you all today!  Try it! I promise you'll love Him more than anything else you've ever experienced! Get everything out of the way, everything you've heard, all opinions that have come your way, all inhibitions and just give God one chance with you, jump in with both feet and I promise you won't regret one second and he won't need another chance!

And one last word from Disney I would like to apply to my invitation... "Prepare for a chance of a lifetime. Be prepared for sensational news. A shining new era is tiptoeing nearer." –Scar (Lion King) as tweeted by Disney Words

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was Lovely SueLing