Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Help! I need somebody's help!

Life is so unnerving for servant who's not serving. He's not whole without a soul to wait upon. –Lumiere (Beauty and the Beast) via DisneyWords on Twitter

Okay, we can face it and admit none of us want to be a servant... In fact we've gone completely the opposite direction, everything is "serve me!" "It's my way or the highway!" "Ummm... I'm not doing that, it's below me." But, in my opinion (and I'm sure if you give it some honest thought you will agree) that kind of attitude is exactly what's wrong with the world! We all expect people to bend, submit and contribute to our happiness while we refuse to do any of those things for anyone else... So if we are all expecting and wanting from others but not giving what can we really accomplish? Nothing.

Here's the deal, we are on this planet together and we need to start realizing we all effect each other... We have to start contributing to the lives of others. I don't care if it's just a friendly smile, helping someone pick up the items that just smashed to the ground when the bottom fell out of their grocery bag, giving someone a card during a frightening life experience or just using common sense when responding to a friend and instead of telling them how silly they are for being scared, listen or assure that friend they are not now and will never have to be alone.  I expect a certain level of compassion and contribution from others just like the rest of you but we cannot forget what is expected from us... Better yet, we can't stop going above and beyond what's expected from us! Who knows maybe when we continue to go above and beyond, when we pass on a blessing, share a smile and care for someone else they will pass it on to the next person.

I know all of us (definitely including myself in this one) want to appear stronger, happier, more content, more confident and more self sufficient than we really are but the simple truth is we are not meant to be self sufficient!  We are meant to help each other, lift others up.. We are meant to share life lessons and experience.. Be some one's strength when they are having trouble finding their own... When one is weak the strong ones are meant to gather around and offer a helping hand not kick dirt all over them!  And I know sometimes it's not accepted but that doesn't change who we need to be.. Just because someone is not able to accept a helping hand doesn't mean we should refuse to extend our hand to others in the future!

As a reminder, their refusal of your help doesn't change who you are and doesn't make your offer invalid in the eyes of others or God, if your motives were pure and your offer to help comes from a kind heart people will see that and so will God. Their refusal of your help cannot make you a bad person or a loser, it makes their heart harden just a little bit more, their hole get a little deeper and their life a little darker but it does not take away the goodness of your soul. On that note, if you are one of the few who don't expect the world to revolve around you and you think it all hangs on your shoulders, please, I know you're probably not comfortable but accept help, accept a blessing or gift someone is trying to give you, accept that smile from a stranger on a bad day, allow those things to help you see the lighter side of life again!  I know it's hard to accept what we view as "charity" but try to reverse the rolls, you want everyone to accept what you do for them and when they do not you don't feel appreciated, allow someone else to help you and feel appreciated in return!

Ok darlings, I don't care what it is we are all doing but lets take the selfish thoughts down a notch and help someone else every day this week... I understand we are not all rich and can't all do huge things for people but we all have an extra three minutes at some point of the day to write a post-it note or even quicker smile at a couple of passers-by.  I challenge you all (as well as myself) to take a minimum of 5 minutes a day to not think of our own needs but the needs of others and more than thinking alone, ACT! HELP SOMEONE ANY WAY YOU CAN.... Something you may not expect that I promise will happen at some point, by helping others you will find your own help.  Helping others is food for your soul, you will feel better about your own life when you care for the life of others!  I leave you with a quote to think about, apparently I am not the only person who poses this question... Can you answer it, if not, make sure by this time next week you will have a response! And hey, why don't you post a comment below (you don't have to be a member, choose name/URL and type your name or choose anonymous!)
Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' - MLK Jr. via KiptynLocke on Twitter

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great SueLing, what a Marvelous idea :D My fav quote that made me think was "Here's the deal, we are on this planet together and we need to start realizing we all effect each other... " Loves it!! oh ya.... and the beatles :) My IPod is polluted with Beatles songs haha a little secret not too many know about moi

Carol Bustard said...

Great blog! how true!

Suzie-K said...

Haaay! That's my mama! ^

Anonymous said...

You and I were thinking of all the same thoughts this week. I find that rather cool. Well put too might I add! Between your blog and my blog, I think a few people might take the hint :P