Thursday, August 11, 2011

Not That Important

"The life of man is of no greater importance to the universe than that of an oyster."
David Hume
as tweeted by Philo_Quotes

With all due respect, Mr. Hume, I would have to admittedly disagree with you!  And, unfortunately for you, God disagrees with you. And although I don't understand why a God of all power loves the human race so much he would humble himself to a trough in a stable and a cross on a hill, He does and He did!

The Psalmist wrote Psalms 8:4-6, the sentiments of my heart also not quite understanding why we are so important to God but accepting the truth of the matter and being appreciative of everything He has to offer us "What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:" How true and beautiful yet terrifying is that!?  We have so much at our feet as they say "he/she had the whole world at his/her feet." But, having a whole world at your feet can be a scary though, especially when you don't know what direction those feet of yours should take...  "But don't you worry about that, you are also important enough to God that if you are trying to live for him and do the right things in His eyes he will direct your path, make it straight and light the way for you "But I'll take the hand of those who don't know the way, who can't see where they're going.  I'll be a personal guide to them, directing them through unknown country.  I'll be right there to show them what roads to take, make sure they don't fall into the ditch.  These are the things I'll be doing for them— sticking with them, not leaving them for a minute." Isiah 42:16 (Msg.) And if we are living as God would like us to live we should be lifting each other up, helping clear the paths for each other instead of being jealous our friends seem to be gaining ground and hitting their stride... Just read Hebrews 12:12-14 (Msg) "So don't sit around on your hands! No more dragging your feet! Clear the path for long-distance runners so no one will trip and fall, so no one will step in a hole and sprain an ankle. Help each other out. And run for it! Work at getting along with each other and with God. Otherwise you'll never get so much as a glimpse of God. Make sure no one gets left out of God's generosity. Keep a sharp eye out for weeds of bitter discontent. A thistle or two gone to seed can ruin a whole garden in no time."

 

But, Mr. Hume, you're comments are exactly what this world does not need... The above quote alone from you can create even more self deprecation, unimportance, ridicule, fear, intimidation and depression than the people in this world already suffer from!  But I take a stand against your words because Proverbs 18:21 teaches us words are powerful and we choose whether our words will destroy or build up! "Words kill, words give life; they're either poison or fruit—you choose." And in keeping with helping each other along life's path I've decided God would want me to tear down what you've said and build up the confidence of my friends!

In closing, Mr. Hume, You are simply incorrect... Human life is not the same significance as an oyster to God (since God created this universe I suppose he decides what is important to it in the first place) and if you would read the word He's inspired for your, my and our benefit you would, perhaps, be a fulfilled soul instead of a tortured soul.

Why don't we all read the passage below and at the end ask God to help us, to give us all He intends for our life and to direct our feet through this world He's set beneath them "God didn't put angels in charge of this business of salvation that we're dealing with here. It says in Scripture, What is man and woman that you bother with them; why take a second look their way? You made them not quite as high as angels, bright with Eden's dawn light; Then you put them in charge of your entire handcrafted world.  When God put them in charge of everything, nothing was excluded. But we don't see it yet, don't see everything under human jurisdiction. What we do see is Jesus, made "not quite as high as angels," and then, through the experience of death, crowned so much higher than any angel, with a glory "bright with Eden's dawn light." In that death, by God's grace, he fully experienced death in every person's place..." Hebrews 2:8-10 (Msg.)

Here's the prayer I'm praying, feel free to use it as a guide for your own prayer, God is just waiting to hear from you! "God, like the last scripture in this blog I know you didn't put angels in charge of salvation that but that you cared so much you robed yourself in flesh and came to earth to die for my sins, so that we could be together in the end... That's the greatest love story of all, and though I don't understand why your love me enough to do that for me I believe you have and I will do all I can to commit myself to living my life for you!  I'm so glad you've taken a second glance at me, even after I've hurt and disappointed you and God, I truly am sorry for each instance I've done anything, knowingly or otherwise, that was against what you wanted for me... Cover all those things with the shadow of the cross and help me to recognize them sooner next time so I can stop myself before I've hurt you.  I know you've given me power and I pray you would help me to use any power I have to uplift and encourage people... Help me to see people the way you see them and to know how you would help them so I can do the same. I may never see the results of my work for you but if you help me to see it and you light the path I will walk wherever you want me to go. Again, thank you for all you've done for me, I love you, help me to have strength and wisdom to follow through on all I want to do for you and to live within the plan you've set out for my life! You're beautiful to me, Lord and I love you!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are very insightful and I admire how much you know scripture. Be very proud of that SueLing. ""But I'll take the hand of those who don't know the way, who can't see where they're going." This is something that stuck out to me and I really needed to hear/read those words. Thank you for hope