Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Out of the Grey


Grey areas are something we came up with all on our own... I never could understand why the Bible says there are no grey areas with God, but now I think I have a suitable answer (at least it was good enough for me to shut up about the injustice of no grey areas.)
Quite a while ago someone disregarded the consequences and released information I had told them in confidence, that person didn't think it was a big deal and in fact it probably wasn't... But if I can't trust them with the small issues how can they expect me to trust them with anything else? Matthew 25:21, 23  His lord said unto him, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." (KJV)  I never did approach the issue with the person who spoke out of turn and we still hold a relationship, it's just not and will never be as close as it could have been.  Thankfully if we mess up with God he not only forgives but forgets and we can be just as close with Him after a mistake as before.  Isaiah 43:25  "I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins."  Hebrews 8:12  "And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins."   Hebrews 10:17  "And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more."  Speaking the words to others I had revealed in confidence to a friend was a "grey area" to them, I had not specifically asked the person not to share the information, was a given by the nature of the comment... Still, that mistake affected our relationship as a whole and without the person even realizing the consequence.

Translating the above experience into a relationship with God (because the natural mirrors the spiritual):  

  • Things that may seem to be a "grey area" to us, just a little sin, small white lie or things not really seeming "wrong" may not be to God...  But why aren't they, how can He say everything is black and white, either a sin or right?  Let's assume there is not an answer, He just decided and that's it, kind of like when our parents used to say "because I said so, that's why!" even if that's all it is do we really still want to risk the consequences unknown to us?

  • I sometimes look at it this way, if I gave my life for all humanity I would hope that if some of them decided to disregard my sacrifice it would be for something "big" (they were so angry because someone hurt their child that they killed that person in a fit of rage) rather than a "small" or in "grey area" (they were too embarrassed or uncomfortable when asked a question to answer truthfully so they told a "white lie" or they denied me by denying their relationship with me...)  It would say something to me that the person was willing to risk our relationship for something so trivial, it would hurt me and my sacrifice would have been disrespected whether that's what they intended or not... Wouldn't you feel that way? 
So my resolution to the whole "grey area" maybe I can "get by with or without this" question...  I don't want to stand before God one day and have him ask "So why wasn't the Crucifixion enough for you to (fill in the blank here)?" At that point it's too late to suck it up and take the embarrassment or to convince him the "grey area" decision didn't have anything to do with the Cross.  At this point the disregard, disrespect, hurt, disappointment, embarrassment, denial and/or "grey area" mistake would speak much louder than I, with all my explanations and excuses, ever could... After all, as the old adage goes "actions speak louder than words."  I have decided not to risk it, what will you decide?  By the way, not taking that kind of risk doesn't make you a "goodie goodie" or prude it makes you respectful (to His sacrifice) and prudent.

1 comment:

t-lstewart said...

ok, my only comment is that i want to be held accountable for my actions and inaction...SO, if this is EVER me, please tell me...i would want to know :-)