Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Forget Me Not

Sometimes I feel like people have forgotten about me...  I see others being promoted above me in all aspects whether it be friendship, relationships, knowledge, trust, ministry, etc.  and I wonder, why not me?  What's wrong with me?  Am I doing something wrong and not realizing it?  As much as I believe people do not control my destiny I sometimes wonder how God can bring me into the promised place when people seem to be working directly against it...  It helps in one way I suppose, it makes me work harder, dig deeper (in myself and into God), grow stronger, sensitive to others...  I find comfort God...

 
Sometimes I wonder if God has forgotten... Forgotten His promises to me... Forgotten me?  I know, I know... Logically I am smarter than those thoughts; I have read "Footprints" heard Byron Cage sing "God has not forgot."  I'm a Christian I shouldn't have any thoughts about got forgetting me...  It's weak, it's foolish and some may even think it sin...  But then, didn't someone else have those thoughts?  Oh yes, David... Job (I'm thinking he wouldn't have said "though he slay me" if he felt completely comfortable with God's remembrance of him)...  Oh yes, and Israel (the whole nation)...  Even Jesus said "why hast thou forsaken me?" 

 
So now that I've clarified these thoughts are to be expected at times, give me a break :o)  

 
The other day I was looking for a scripture and although I did not find the one I was looking for, I think God helped me find the ones I needed dealing with perceiving to be forgotten... I was encouraged and possibly you can be as well...

 
  • The LORD hath sworn by the excellency of Jacob, "Surely I will never forget any of their works!"  Amos 8:7
  • For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labor of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. Hebrews 6:10
  • Make sure you don't take things for granted and go slack in working for the common good; share what you have with others. God takes particular pleasure in acts of worship—a different kind of "sacrifice"—that take place in kitchen and workplace and on the streets. Hebrews 13:16
  • But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it. James 1:25

 
Now I know, God has not, and will not forget!  I am promised more than I thought, I was looking at the big picture but I was standing too close to bring all of it's glory into focus...  If I continue my "work and labor of love," if I continue to "minister" (clarification on this word...  Although it can include those people on the platform and full-time church staff, it is so simple and so much more at the same time...  You can "minister" by cooking a hot meal for someone who needs it, bringing cookies to a lonely neighbor, singing a song, writing a letter, speaking positive and encouraging words - and we need a lot more of that particular ministry! You can "minister" by trusting others enough to share your faults and successes with them so they can learn from you instead of from experience... All in all, anything you do for someone other than yourself that you are doing for the name of Jesus IS "MINISTRY!")  If I continue to take my "acts of worship" (see ministry and add lifestyle) to the streets, kitchen and workplace... If I "look carefully at the law that sets me free" (God's word and work of salvation... If I look into what he wants from me.) IF I continue in these things I am promised God cannot forget me and he will bless me... After all, how can you forget someone who is always bringing you letters, writing you songs, cooking you meals and speaking kind words?  More than that you would not want to forget that kind of person!  I know I am doing these things to and for Him because I looked it up "...'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me." Matthew 20:40  "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Hebrews 13:2

 
So I would like to echo a couple of words from David and make this promise "I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word." Psalm 119:16

No comments: