Monday, February 8, 2010

Heaven's Wall Street

I was reading my friend's (Teri-Lyn) blog today "my-point-o-view.blogspot.com" and thought I would share the response I posted with my part of the "blog world!" 
A quote inlcuded in Teri-Lyn's blog from Because of the Times 2010 really made me think...  "We take nothing into eternity with us...  Except who we are and what we've done...  If we haven't done well, He won't say 'well done'...  We will all stand before God unsupported by family, friends, spouses, pastors, counselors, etc. would you want to stand before Him today as exactly who you are right now and with what you've done?" - Vesta Mangun


Teri-Lyn also shared a parable I mentioned in one of my latest Blogs and it reminded me of a lesson I think we all need to learn... the master entrusted his servants with his money to look after while he was gone. in his absence, 2 servants invested what they'd been given so that when the master returned he was "full of praise. 'well done, my good and faithful servant...let's celebrate together!'" the 3rd servant, being afraid to lose the master's money, hid it, and "the master replied, 'you wicked and lazy servant...why didn't you deposit my money in the bank? at least it could have gotten some interest on it?' to those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. but from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away."

One part of the three servant parable that always stands out to me is the two who "invested" the masters treasure ended up with different returns however they received the same praise from the master...  The implication is clear to me, it's the "investing" that counts, not the returns...  It's a hard lesson to learn, especially when you are "investing" in people and you want so much for them to show great return, harder still when we are so customized to comparing ourselves with others... Keeping up with the Joneses will kill you! The lesson may be hard but it's definitely life changing once you've got it so here it is:  your job is to "invest" not enforce the return... Remember God said his word will not return void (Isaiah 55:11) so once we've sent the word out the return is in His hands. The truth is we may never see the return ourselves but it is promised to be profitable! 


We must do our job with diligence and our job is to "invest!"  We are heaven's wall street the so the only question left is "when the boss walks in do you want to be on the floor working or standing around the water-cooler?"

1 comment:

t-lstewart said...

my sister reminded me of a wonderful verse tonight: "lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (matt. 6:19-21 kjv).

imagine what would happen if we started investing with this verse in mind...treasures to take into and last for all eternity...like souls!