Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Remind me again of how beautiful I am...

This one was written this summer (August 4, 2009) on vacation. As I sit on board flight # 3345, traveling from Portland, ME to Washington, DC, I am mesmerized. Looking out my window I see the ocean; coastline with boats floating; beautiful, golden, sandy shores; rivers streaming through towns and cities taking the path I suppose a lightning bolt would travel and the popcorn clouds suspended in the atmosphere... It's a relaxing and fearful feeling at the same time. Every thought from amazement to at the suspension of the aircraft to "can you imagine people actually jump out of these things FOR FUN!!??" pass through my mind. But the thought I cannot escape is "God is beautiful, everything he touches ends up magnificent!" You may not see it from where you stand, but truly, when you look from eyes above no one could dare say it's not absolutely breathtaking! My thoughts wonder to the things, people and surroundings of my life I so often take for granted... Forgetting to see the beauty all around me... Forgetting to see the beauty in humanity... Forgetting to see the beauty even in myself. Remembering, now, in this moment (and committing not to forget in the future) all these sights are extensions of His beauty. Take the time to realize this beauty expressed Him, my father, my friend, everlasting comfort, all surpassing priority, the worlds one and only Alpha and Omega, Jesus of Nazareth. The flower in bloom changes daily, hourly, even momentarily... He has not yet unfolded every petal of understanding to me or every petal of my life's dreams and ambitions but, it's a process and I am just happy to be a part of it. Some days I may not feel like I've been fed enough, or I didn't get enough fresh water to drink, or possibly he needs to be reminded to let the "sun shine in to dry up all the rain" however I am reminded a stroke of his finger hollowed out the riverbeds I am looking at right now, he knows how many grains of sand it takes to make the beaches below, he takes care of the creatures in that ocean, lets the lightning bolts out to fly and unfolds the wild flowers in perfect timing; so how much more must he care for a little flower in his garden of humanity? Now that I have come to this final conclusion: everything he touches is made beautiful... He is so great that he can't help but change anything that gets a moment in his presence. I must remember his touch in my own like (and you would do well to remember the same right now). I may not have reached all (or any) of my own personal goals, ambitions or perfection, but alone, the fact I have been touched by him and have spent countless, let alone one, moments in his presence makes me beautiful. Some may not see it from where they stand, and surely not all will, but looking through eyes above it's undeniable! There have been a lot of crushed hopes, stolen dreams and misplaced visions along the path of my life. Hurts I could never have imagined would happen to me. Misuse of the heart of an innocent child. Hard realities of adult obligations. But one thing remains true, loving, unhindered, strong, trust-worthy, and faithful (even though unappreciated a lot of the time) is the one who waters, sings to and weeds out this little flower, God! He gave me "Beauty for ashes" (Isiah 61:3) and "all things have become new" (2 Corinthians 5:17) so "I will declare the beauty of the Lord, nothing compares to the Beauty of the Lord."

No comments: