Saturday, November 14, 2009

Kindred Spirits

I've always heard stories about people meeting and talking on planes... My pastor could pretty much be famous for opening up communication with people for an entire flight. I, on the other hand, have never really spoken to someone for more than five minutes let alone an entire flight, never made a friend on a flight that I would keep in touch with (or even make the offer) to build some sort of kinship through writing or telephone conversations.

Today on board a Delta Airlines flight from Nashville, TN to Atlanta, GA I met a woman names Linda... She only sat beside me because the lady who actually was supposed to sit there requested to switch seats so she could be by her husband. The move created small talk when I offered to move to the middle seat to allow Linda to remain in the "roomier" isle seat she would have if she had not moved. Linda told me she was travelling to New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island; in fact, she would be travelling through the city I live in and meeting a friend she has known for years. Strangely enough when she said I may know her I actually did (as opposed to every other time I have been asked if I know so and so from British Columbia which is about a six or seven day drive from my province ha!)...

After a few minutes of talking I was quite amazed at all the commonalities that ran through our lives. We spoke about everything from the Faith we share, prayer partnership, family history, our puppies, weather, her beautiful love story of her relationship with her husband, Michael, and my lack of a love story. She told me she used to help lead the singles ministry in her church (which happens to be a position my mother holds in my church) and how she is great with praying for relationships and she will be keeping me in mind until she hears from me telling her I've found Mr. Right. It was very much a funny, sweet, southern offer and it means a great deal to a girl who does not believe admitting to a desire for a soul-mate to share her live with makes her weak, incompetent or without goals and aspirations.

As an aside, where did we go wrong with regards to what makes us weak as opposed to vulnerable? Doesn't being vulnerable enough to be honest about the fact we would like someone to hold our hand and smile when we are afraid actually show a form of courage and strength sorely missing these days? And isn't honesty in general lacking from our society lately? If so, isn't it most likely because people don't feel safe enough among friends to be honest about their needs, dreams, faults, requests and even successes? Rhetorical questions, but if you are left contemplating, the correct answers are yes, yes, yes and YES!

Linda is a sweet, beautiful, Godly woman who warmed my heart with a friendly smile and encouraging word. (Encouragement, by the way, is a gift we have, for the most part, forgotten how to give and lost sight of its importance. Sometimes we don't realize that believing in others and letting them know we do could change their world around.) She gave me her address and phone number in exchange for mine in hopes of continuing to for a friendship and says she expects to hear from me and eventually receive a wedding invitation; I hope to hear from her and I absolutely will send her that wedding invitation, hopefully in the not so distant future (I would like to be able to make it up the isle without a walker and oxygen tank! ha! It's really not quite that scary yet but for dramatics sake!)

The flight seating arrangements being changed by request was definitely a God thing (or fate or destiny, whatever you want to insert there) Linda and I both felt that way. I spent an entire weekend with good friends, having great times and attending awesome church services at Youth Congress 2009, but thought I was missing out on the "God Moment" I always look for...Apparently he saved the best for last, I was encouraged, my direction was confirmed, someone lifted me up and believed in me and I was assured God has me in mind... It didn't take a preacher, a good song, church sanctuary or service it was just a new face happy to share herself and life experiences with a kid like me.

So ladies, ("all my single ladies... put your hands up... lalalalala... Yes I am plane dancing, thank you Beyonce ha!) be encouraged with me, God knows what you desire, and if one of those things happens to be a good husband, it's OK, don't let anyone make you feel weak for that desire. Remember "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you", "delight thyself in the Lord always, and he shall direct thy paths", "and he shall give you the desires of thine heart" (which doesn't mean he will give you what you want, but it does mean he will help you want the right things for you), "The Lord saw that it was not good for man to be alone" (another aside: Adam was nowhere near being alone when the bible records this, he had all the animals to name and God himself to walk with in the cool of the day... But God still saw that Adam felt alone without human relationship... And he didn't make him just a friend he made him a woman.. Niiice :oP) And "I desire that you should have life and that more abundantly" if you're not feeling very abundant at the moment (we all have those days... weeks, months or years haha) remember there is still more pages to your story and it's coming. "For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you." I can keep going with these scriptures or even direct biblical stories (Example: Rebecka in the right place at the right time , out of her ordinary routine.. With a bucket of water on her head... That's attractive.. But it's where she needed to be even down to the detail to meet her husband.) but I think your heart strings have already been tugged and maybe after this little note you can smile and look forward to your own love story.


I'm not entirely sure Linda will ever get to read this, but just in case, I want her to know "you have touched the heart of a little blond girl from New Brunswick. You have been an encouragement when she needed it and a God sent reminder of Love. You have a beautiful spirit and I look forward to all the reports of the good things in both of our lives! Thank you for recognizing our "God moment" and letting me in your life as a friend! Something I never told you on the plane is from the time I read and watched "Anne of Green Gables (which if the book Linda was carrying with her) I have been looking for someone with a 'Kindred Spirit' who just seems to know the true me and I believe I have found that in you! I love you already!"

Suzie

2 comments:

Lauren Nicole said...

beautiful writing and thoughts of course...
but i'm especially loving the picture of choice :)
[had the biggest crush on gilbert ;) ] luv ya!

SuzieK said...

Hahah, I know, right!? Didn't we all have a crush on Gil... You know why don't you! My next post is going to sort of be about that... Sort of.