Thursday, December 9, 2010

'tis the season to be... Depressed??!

It's the Christmas season again... I usually hold off on allowing myself to get into the spirit of Christmas until mid-December, and still, by the time the glorious day actually gets here I'm just ready for it to be over. This year I decided to try things mum's way... Full throttle Christmas spirit by mid-November!! Decorations up, gift buying & wrapping started, fireplace on, wrapped in a blanket with Christmas movies practically every evening, Christmas songs  in the air, hot chocolate and cider on the menu! Trying to hold onto the warmth of the holidays through the whole season...


While watching another Christmas movie I realized something... "this is depressing!" I mean seriously, it was a happy movie filled with love and cheer but I was alone.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not the "pity party" type; I'm thankful for my life and all the blessing it holds but in that moment I realized Christmas does do something other seasons cannot... Christmas makes you aware of what is missing from your life.  Whatever the one goal you're just not able to reach it's displayed in a Christmas movie; whether it is a home to call your own, the perfect cabin retreat in the woods, a new car, the perfect meal, family, promotion or "the one"... That one thing you feel you're missing out on, the one thing you just aren't sure will ever be yours, that's the thing you watch making happy the people on the screen.


A couple of days later I was thinking about Christmas again (surprise surprise) loving the smells and the sounds of the season but feeling a sad... Suddenly it hit me "Christmas has become depressing because we have our eyes on the wrong life!" Just like the movies we love to watch year after year in which someone has lost faith in the miracles of the season we have lost sight of the true miracle the season is all about! We are looking at the lives on a screen, comparing them to our own lives when we should and need to look at His life!


Yes, the little babe born in Bethlehem wrapped tight with his mothers love settled in a manger filled with hay; but, not only the babe, the man and his life! The story doesn't end with frankincense and myrrh but with a cross of love and resurrection of hope! So let's remember Christ this Christmas season and surround ourselves and those around us with the life giving power of His love and hope!


Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas! I don't think I'd be in half of the mood for Christmas this year if I didn't have you to work with. Your quite the Christmas cheer in this office.