Thursday, December 30, 2010

"Don't Stop Belivin'! Hold onto that Feelin'!" - New Year's Resolution



Matthew 17:1-8 tells us of Jesus taking his disciples to a mountain top where they experience his glory in a greater way than ever before!  You would think they would be completely enamoured with all they were hearing and seeing... Instead they fell under fear and looked away from the miracle, the vision and God's voice stopped... But what if the disciples were not afraid? If they never collapsed with fear; what more, what greater things could they have experienced and seen in the moment of their miracle?


How many times have we done the same thing in our own lives and relationship with God? We get our eyes on the problems surrounding us instead of the solution we have within us. We fall under the pressure of fear instead of falling into excitement and expectation in the moment of our miracle. We stop listening to the voice of God because His word for our life is so grand we doubt our ability to absorb, apply and appropriate it correctly. One of the elementary success strategies first learned in life is "if at first you don't succeed try, try again!" so let's put to use what we have known to do for years...


God's word gives us steps to fighting back against fear "for I have not given you the spirit of fear but of love, power and a sound mind!" (1 Timothy 1:7) The bible tells us what to keep our concentration fixed on when it says "lift up my eyes toward where my help comes from..." (Psalm 121:1) Where does our help come from? The Lord! Lastly, God tells us not to worry about OUR ability because it's He who works the great work through us... It's not our job to appropriate the miracle just to seize the moment and "he that has begun a good work in you is able to finish it!" (Philippians 1:6) "go into all the world... I am with you always, even unto the end." (Matthew 28:19-20)  Part of your miracle is that GOD is the one providing the way for you, he doesn't need your help to make it happen just talk to him enough that you recognize his voice and character like you would your own family and be open to His instruction when it comes to you. After all, "...My ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than yours..." (Isiah 55:9)


"I see what you've done. Now see what I've done. I've opened a door before you that no one can slam shut. You don't have much strength, I know that; you used what you had to keep my Word..." (Revelation 3:8)  God has opened the doors for you, your job is to walk through trusting Him and controlling your fear through Him. 


My New Year's resolution is to walk through whatever door God wants to open for me, not to fall into fear taking my eyes off him but to fall into excitement of His promises to me!  To expect things I have in the past thought too grand for me or my church!  To allow God to do the work he desires to do around me and to follow His plan for every area of my life this year... Now, who's with me!?

2 comments:

Michelle Palmer said...

WOOOOHOOO I'm with ya! Thanks for this blog!! I don't know if you have heard or not be we are moving to Mississippi to work at the Tupelo Children's Mansion. I have been having a few days of self'doubt this week but thankfully God has used you as well as a couple other people to remind me that he, not I, is in control! He opened the door and now all we have to do is go through it and leave the hard stuff to him. He will give us he wisdom and strength to do the job that he has called us to do and when we can't do it, he'll take up the slack. What a God! I am gonna to concentrate on falling into excitment instead of into fear!! Great advice! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you too! I love how you incorporate so many verses! That's what always gets me right into your blogs. I love seeing how things relate. Your a very creative girl Sue Ling ;)

This blog has got me all excited to go back to God again. I started talking to him again over Christmas break. More and more each day I feel enlighten. Keep the blogs coming because they are helping me :)