Thursday, October 24, 2013

Not Enough?

Hi bunnies!  (Okay, maybe I should have said foxes for fall?..) Ahyhoo... As you know I've taken a couple of weeks off... Not intentionally, I forgot two weeks ago because I was busy packing for a trip to Louisiana and last week I was in Louisiana and got too busy, I had planned to sit on the porch drinking coffee, enjoying the sun and write my little heart out for you! Sorry! But, I have to say, the break did me good and now I have 3 topics in the waiting to be written.
 
This post however was inspired last night while I was reading just before drifting off to la-la land (hoping my family isn't the only one who called sleeping by that phrase, otherwise I've already lost half of you! ha) I read a passage and the thought just jumped out at me... I've heard it before but I've not really given it much consideration... I'm not sure I thought it to actually be true or if I just thought it was some speaker's personal opinion going a little overboard... Not that either way there would be a problem, it's not a bad thought, just... I don't know... Small?
 
I am the type of person who likes to be involved, I like to have a lot of things on my plate.  Don't get me wrong here, I like to have personal time and am not lacking in that area but I find even when I am volunteering in more than one capacity I feel like I'm just not doing enough, like I'm not fulfilling my potential, there's more to be done and I need to find a way to get involved in it.. I never feel like I'm doing enough, and if I'm not doing what I deem to be enough I often feel as if I'm not doing anything for God... But I realized last night, it's not about how many aspects I am involved in - although that should not become an excuse for lack of involvement - it doesn't matter how many titles or positions I hold, there's really only one thing of need, only one calling...
 
While on my break, my mother and I were reminiscing over my grandparents and some others in our family... How blessed our family is to have such a heritage and to be given the privilege to be so closely knit together.  While thinking about my grandparents I realized they weren't what some would call "great" they were humble, and although at one time my grandfather was a prominent businessman he somehow fell off track and drank most of his influence away for years. Luckily, or I should say graciously my grandfather turned his life over to Jesus and was miraculously delivered from alcoholism and changed in a moment... Grampie witnessed to those around him about the saving grace of The Lord but being from a small community and before the time of a telephone being in every home let alone the internet his audience wasn't impressive by any stretch of the imagination..  My grammie was loving, strong and caring but her husband died when the youngest of her nineteen children was only seven years of age, she worked hard and provided all the necessities but she didn't have her own "19 Kids and Counting" reality show and wasn't known by anyone much outside of her hometown.  In the eyes of anyone by today's standards, my grandparents were not rich, they did not have a huge realm of influence and no regal status proceeding their entrance or exit. The thing is, my grandparents were both known by God... No they didn't have their names in lights, they never walked onto a big stage to be the "main event," you wouldn't recognize them as being any different than anyone else walking past you, but my grandparents fulfilled exactly what they were called to do. Five of those children because preachers and thousands of lives have been changed because of their ministries, there have been healings and miracles and lives changed by the power of Jesus!  Now there are grandchildren following those footsteps and who knows where or if the reach of my grandparents will stop! 
 
Like my grandparents, you may not see much of a stage for your break-out performance.. People may not know your name.. Your talents may never get the chance to shine in the way you think they should.  Life is not about the stage anyway, it's not about being known or seen, it's not about what you have to offer, it's only about one thing: who you can lead into closer relationship with Christ!  The last words from Jesus before ascending into heaven were "go into the world, preach, reach, change, I'll be with you!" (Suzie paraphrase ;)) You may not be a preacher and that's okay, be a friend! You may not be able to travel throughout the world but you can change the world of your children.  You may not have the money to reach every homeless soul you see but you can share a sandwich or even a kind word.  Listen, Jesus said he came to "seek" and to "save" that which is lost... So that's all we are here for... We need to make ourselves aware of the people around us, seek out their needs and save them from an eternity without God by allowing them to know Him through us!  Be the bridge, create a connection!
 
 
"As thou hast sent me into the world even so have I sent them into the world" John 17:18 (KJV)
 
All that Jesus did on earth, the teachings, the healings, miracles, friendships, they were all "about the father's business," all for the sake of the kingdom of heaven, all for one calling to save.  So there it is, no matter what we are involved in, whether we feel it is enough or not we need to remember it's all for the calling.  Everything we are is for one purpose, salvation, and everything we do can be made to effect salvation so even if you're not able to accomplish all the ministries you wish, accomplish your life with the purpose of the salvation calling, "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus..." Colossians 3:17 (NIV)

No comments: