Thursday, October 31, 2013

Goody, goody, two shoes!

Goody, goody, two shoes.. That's a phrase I heard a lot when I was a kid... Not so much anymore, thankfully most people grow up past that stage shortly after middle school, ha! What does it even mean anyway?... Okay, sorry back from google, but for those of you who, like me, want to know the meaning I've posted the link at the bottom of this post. Ha!

Sometimes I get asked why I live th way I do... Why I don't go to bars, why I don't swear, why I dress modestly, etc. there are plenty of answers I could give, one I like to use often is "if I had a boyfriend who liked me in blue you would see me in blue a lot more often, my personal style might not change but I would want to wear what appeals to my man... And if I would do that for a guy, your better believe I would do that for God!" Another is just out of a thankful heart, if he even hints in his Word toward something that displeases him I'm going to stay away, if he hints toward something he likes I'll do more of it. Lastly, guardrails... I don't go some places, not necessarily because it's sin to attend but because I'm protecting myself from temptation.

A few people think we do things to get saved... But that's not it.. We do these things because we are saved and want to please the saviour. Just like parents have rules we have to follow when we are living under their roof, we do the things we know God would be proud of when we are living with him.  And it not only stretches to our lifestyle but should completely change our giving style, our friendship style, our thoughtfulness style and more. We should notice the needs of others like never before and we should do whatever we can to help them!

As I was reading the Bible last night I came across something I've never noticed in this way before... "Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which god hath before ordained that we should walk in them."  Ephesians 2:9-10 (KJV) in other words, we are not saved through what we do but once we are saved we are to do more good works than before. We are saved "unto" good works! We should persist to walk in good works until it's so natural it becomes a part of who we are. So that's all it is, if you're saved, do good, love people, love yourself... You know what, just notice people, be aware of them, their feelings, their needs and do what you can to help... It may not be much in your eyes but you know as well as I do that when you're in need even someone acknowledging they notice the need is enough to touch your heart. And isn't touching the hearts of others exactly what we are supposed to be doing in the first place?

Love God. Be good. Do good.

Goody Two Shoes
Cinderella, who knew! And I'm always compared to Cinderella, ha!

Oh, and happy halloween!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good some people only know what they see so they will ask questions of wh

y we do things such as dress and why we don't do or go places great post