Thursday, May 16, 2013

Sick Me and Busy Bees

Hi honey bees! Ugh, I'm sick :o( Boo! And you all better start praying because I'm supposed to sing all weekend at Youth Convention in Saint John, NB... As of today I have no high register at all... "Aaaauuuwhhh Help me Lord!" (Shout out there to "God's Grace" Rev. Jack Leaman's message a few weeks ago. If you didn't see it here's the link!)  Anyway.... I didn't know what to write this week (maybe I'm in a rut because I feel like that's what I've been saying at the beginning of each post for months now..) all I honestly want to do is sleep, whine, sleep and take all the meds I can... And probably whine some more (I'm doing well with that in this first paragraph, actually.) But I'm sure you all don't need or desire to hear more whining than you already have in your lives.

Since all I've been thinking about this week is how much I hate being sick, how much I hate not having a voice and how I wish I could just go out but getting ready is enough to make me need a nap these days... I mean, I would do anything, take anything I don't like just to get this sore throat better! Sickness is all I have to write about.  But here's the thing that grabbed my attention: I probably needed the rest I'm now getting long before I actually caught this bug... I probably needed to eat a little more regularly and healthy... I probably could have used a slow down.  But none of us like that, am I right? We all like the buzz of the busy life, forgetting to eat a meal or only having time for drive-thru just means you're committed and getting lots of other things accomplished and really, we can function on 6 hours sleep... For a while...

And here's where it gets close to home, why do we always wait until we are ill before resting and taking care of ourselves, making sure we get all that rest, those nutrients and taking the time out for a nap here and there?  How dumb is that?  And don't we tell others, young moms, workaholics to just take a break, slow all that down and take a minute to consider themselves..  Because, after all, it doesn't take a genius to see that never considering yourself gets you a long way down the path of ware before it's ever really noticed. 

So I just have one question, do we do the same thing spiritually?  Have you poured yourself out every day and are you only taking the time to "eat" on Sunday's?  How far down that rabbit trail of apathy are you when it comes to your relationship with Christ?  Are you so busy working for the kingdom that you've forgot to be a part of it?  Martha was busy working for Christ but Mary took the time out to commune at His feet and the Bible says Mary chose the "good part" that would not be taken away from her. (Luke 10: 38-42)  And that's really it for us, this weeks thought and challenge is just to take some time for yourself and Christ... It's okay to minister to others but you have to make sure you're not getting sick in the meantime... If you're pouring our more than you're taking in it will catch up with you.  So, this weekend, tonight, whenever you can take some time to catch up on some spiritual rest, take some time from the busy and just be with Him, instead of ministering to others let Him minister to you and get you healthy!

No comments: