Thursday, April 18, 2013

Is it okay to be a Pessimist?

Hey guys, this one is coming to you a bit late too... I went out with a friend for lunch and forgot to post it so I had to sneak the post on my phone! ha!  I do want to make sure you are all aware that Spring/Summer are the busy times at work for me and I usually don't even have lunch outside the office so my posts are usually suppertime or later :o( DON'T HATE ME! haha!

Anyway, I was thinking this week about how I was raised - not necessarily taught but learned through experience - to expect the worst and hope for the best... You know, that way you're never disappointed... Or at least you're prepared in the event of disappointment.  I'm not sure what it was that taught me to be this way, my dad walking out when I was nine - which by the way, just in case you're wondering/contemplating, is just old enough to understand it's not your fault but too young to understand why you're not enough to make him stay - or if it was being poor - so poor I remember my mothers family doing a "food drive" type Christmas for us once and mom being so happy and relieved she cried.  I was never the kid with the brand name clothes which, in my schools meant I was always one of the kids who got picked on... Or if it was just never feeling like any boys liked me... EVER... hah (not so funny all the time.)  Whatever it was let's just say Eeyore's melancholy had nothing on mine.

I used to always describe myself as a realist and to most extent still do... But, looking back and still frequently catching my spiralling thought processes I've come to the realization if although I wouldn't consider myself a complete pessimist - I don't think the world is out to get me.. No conspiracy theories or a need to wear a helmet haha! - I definitely lean toward negative.  Now, first allow me to say that I don't want to be nutty the other way either - "everything is wonderful, yes, that is blood dripping from my knees after falling down the stairs but hey, it was a scenic fall!"  Yes, I do think that a little nutty... I may be willing to downgrade that opinion to naive...? Maybe.

That confessional being over and all my opinion states for the cause I would like to offer another point of view... God's.  See, "God is a little strange, He has this idea that He's God!" - Raymond Woodward.  God thinks He is able to do ANYTHING! And since God thinks He can do ANYTHING even above... No, even, abundantly above anything we could think of let alone ask Him for God actually has it in His head we should trust Him no matter how it looks to us! And God actually has even more nerve than that, yes, He not only thinks we should trust but add faith to it! As if that weren't enough to scare us "realists" He expects us to step out on that trust and faith and add action! "What is God thinking!? I can't do that! I mean, how do I know it will work!? Logically speaking - and that's all I speak, haha! - the odds are stacked and not in my favor!" But, here's the thing, if God is with you the odds immediately change and no matter what, turn to your favor!  In God's eyes it is never okay for His children - that's us - to be pessimistic, especially when it comes to His promises but even as it extends to other areas of life!  "Okay Suzie-K, you're talking a whole lot like you know what God thinks... But I'm a realist so you're gonna have to prove it!"  Well, my friend, that's not a problem at all:

Finally, brothers and sisters,
whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right,
whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable
—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—
think about such things.
 
Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think,
according to the power that worketh in us...
 
Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; 
he’s the one who will keep you on track.
Don’t assume that you know it all.
 
And again, Isaiah says: “There shall be a root of Jesse;
And He who shall rise to reign over the Gentiles,
In Him the Gentiles shall trust.
 
Dear friends, do you think you’ll get anywhere in this if you learn all the right words but never do anything? Does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it? For instance, you come upon an old friend dressed in rags and half-starved and say, “Good morning, friend! Be clothed in Christ! Be filled with the Holy Spirit!” and walk off without providing so much as a coat or a cup of soup—where does that get you? Isn’t it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense?
 
If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers
—most of which are never even seen—
don’t you think he’ll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you?
What I’m trying to do here is to get you to relax,
to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God’s giving.
People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things,
but you know both God and how he works.
Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions.
Don’t worry about missing out. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.
 
But when he saw the strong wind, he was afraid. He began to go down in the water.
He cried out, “Lord, save me!”  At once Jesus put out His hand and took hold of him.
Jesus said to Peter, “You have so little faith! Why did you doubt?”
 
Because you’re not yet taking God seriously,” said Jesus.
“The simple truth is that if you had a mere kernel of faith, a poppy seed, say, you would tell this mountain, ‘Move!’ and it would move. There is nothing you wouldn’t be able to tackle.”

So  there it is, plain as day, God - Jesus - wants us all to trust Him! God wants us to not only be his children but inherit faith and use that faith in our actions... No, God doesn't like pessimism because it robs us of the trust, faith and actions He desires us to walk in... It may not be an over night prayer fix but I'm going to commit to growing my trust, faith and putting them into the action God wants me to, and you know what, so should you!

1 comment:

Wendi M. said...

This is only the 2nd time I have ever read your blog and it is bang-on for me today. Thank you, funny not that I needed the pep talk on pessimism, sometimes I am too 'Pollyanna', I think :) but just a verification of me continuing to trust in Him, and give more than I can afford to, having faith that He will see me through! Thank you