Thursday, April 4, 2013

Eating with the Enemy

So, as you know last weekend was Easter weekend... We had a beautiful play at Capital Community I was blessed to see and be a part of... Here's a clip of the highlights if you're interested!  I'm one of those people, not consistent with my social media commitment (except, of course, for you guys and this blog!) But last weekend I was on Twitter (FOLLOW ME!)for a bit and saw a quote I cannot get out of my head and I figure it's sort of like a song that if you just give in and sing it out loud it will go away... So I write and it goes away, maybe?

The quote that got me thinking was about the Last Supper, a story I've heard about and viewed being played out many times before... I've always heard about, read and viewed Judas and Jesus dipping their bread together but not really thinking much of it other than the usual that's how Jesus told everyone Judas was the betrayer. This time my only thought is Jesus invited Judas along with all of his other closest friends to supper the night before the betrayal Jesus knew would take place! Jesus all the time knowing he was dipping bread and sharing a cup with the one who would turn his back on him! That's crazy to me! I mean would I want to have supper with someone who I knew was going to sell me out!?  So there must be a reason, a lesson to learn!?  And not only did Jesus eat with Judas but Jesus washed the feet of Judas! But I think Judas gets a bit of a bad rep here... I mean let's not forget Judas betrayed Jesus once, Peter denied Jesus three times that same night but he was also invited to supper and Jesus also washed his feet! 

So here are some thoughts of mine and quotes of others for you to think about... Please don't just think about them but act on them!

God uses your enemies for good! Judas had to betray Jesus into the crucifixion so we could experience salvation through the resurrection!
 
We are supposed to treat everyone with love and respect; friend or enemy. You shouldn't choose to be unkind to anyone and it's always a choice. Furthermore, we are to reach for EVERYONE not just the people we like, respect or think well of!
"Don't allow some one's un-Biblical habits or beliefs lead you to treat them in a un-Biblical manner. Be Jesus to Judas." - Jordan Kranda
 
"Jesus washed Judas feet. You don't just serve people you think deserve it." - Kenny G. Camacho
 
"Jesus' Last Supper was held with Judas, his betrayer, right next to him. Even to last moment Jesus was trying to reach him with his grace." - David Chadwick
 
"Jesus washed the feet of Judas who betrayed him, Peter who denied him and the others who abandoned him. Then he said, "Go and do likewise." - Dr. William Brown
 
You can hang out with God and his friends for as long as you want but it will not do any good for you at all if you don't allow it to change your heart.
 
"Judas ate with Jesus walked with Jesus talked with Jesus and still had a heart full of betrayal Jesus please help me keep a clean heart!" - Gary Pierson


There is NOTHING you can do to make God stop loving you! Even when you betray Him, he keeps his hand of love extended to you and calls you friend.

"Jesus death was the most painful death in human history. But he accepts us, just as he accepts Judas- knowing that Judas would betray him." - Alex Durham
 
"Drinking from same cup as Judas, Jesus proved 2 things: His desire never to be separated from God, or us, no matter our waywardness." - Leonard Sweet


It's not the betrayal that is the end... It's what you do afterward, get up and repent or get up and go to the desert tree... Judas betrayed Jesus once then ended his own life but Peter denied Jesus three times then repented and got to hold the keys to the kingdom and spread the gospel as one of the most well known apostles in history!

"Judas. Me. You. We've all betrayed Jesus. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes unintentionally. The cross can cover it all." - Mike Lee
 
So I'm not sure which of these thoughts you life falls under today but I'm sure you can find a bit of yourself in at least one of them, as can I... So we must allow God to speak to our hearts and make us clean! Take a minute, now, wherever you are (seriously, go to a washroom stall for a moment if you can't get alone any other way) and just talk to Jesus. Thank Him for speaking to you through these words and commit to change with His help! He's GREAT! 


No comments: