Thursday, February 17, 2011

Post-it "reminder of who's the boss"

There is a story about Jesus being tempted in Luke 4:1-13...  He was alone in the wilderness for 40 days (and I know we've all felt alone and in desolate places.) Jesus hadn't eaten anything those 40 days and was famished (this part I can't even imagine physically, but I know how it feels spiritually... To feel like you haven't had anything of substance for a long time and just be starved for God's presence and power!) And just when Jesus was at His weakest point, after being worn down 40 long, hard days; enter stage left, Satan, as the tempter (and common, we all know one thing Satan has got down to a science is his temptation timing, he's just got this knack for walking onto the scene in your darkest moment...)

I have heard this story many times before... But tonight when I was reading something new jumped out at me... I've always heard and known that Jesus was quoting  scripture to defend himself and we can learn to do the same.  Basic rule: if Jesus did it, that's a principle we should live by. I've also heard it coupled with other scriptures and taught that evil knows scripture too, so when you're tempted or reminded of a scripture out of context and it's used against you just remind Satan that the back of the book is already written and he loses!  Both ideas are great to follow and tuck away in our hearts but there's something else here I've never heard anyone teach and I certainly haven't noticed myself... 

In verse 9 the third and last temptation is offered and in verse 12 Jesus answers "you are not to put the Lord your God to the test..." 

I propose we add a to the Post-It reminder for evil's fridge... "Jesus, is the Lord YOUR God!" Yes Jesus is my God and I love Him! I am so amazed that He loves me, but He's YOUR God too Satan and that means He rules over you! You have no power only permission from Him for a short time and you have to obey what he commands of you!  And He promised me he would never put me through more than I can bare!  I am His child and I resist your temptations and offences in my and YOUR Lord's name, Jesus! In fact, I finish up with His everlasting words "get thee behind me!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Get thee behind me!" I love it