Thursday, November 21, 2013

'Tis the Season... Be Care Full

Hey guys, I wasn't really sure what I wanted to write to you about today... I had an idea earlier in the week and I think that's what I'll stick to, give some other thoughts a while to settle?  Anyway, as you are aware I frequently write about helping others, about reaching to the people around you, caring for people you see with random acts of kindness... Tell someone you love that you care, make sure they know! 

Something you may or may not know of me is that I'm quite hard on myself... My thoughts are often along the "you could have done much better with that situation" or "why didn't you think to say..." even "well you're a disappointment.." and I actually can find humor in it... But I was listening to the radio the other day and realized I was listening to someone else encourage me but David encouraged  himself in the Lord... So I've been doing something wrong all along...

Helping others is very important and will remain at the forefront of my thoughts (and I hope yours as well, especially throughout the Holiday season... Yes, we are there.) but I must also help myself... Help myself by looking at some of the things I do well. I muse encourage myself on a bad day.  I need to be keeping my thoughts positive, not only about the people around me but about myself... And I am assuming by now you know you must do the same and I am not speaking to myself only.  I know there seems to be a fine line and no one wants to be considered selfish or self-centered or cocky... But the line isn't really that thin at all... In fact, there may not be a line, maybe it's just something we've made up and the true guide is only to both care for others and yourself.

If you're always pouring yourself out into others and making their lives better while you continually think you're not enough, then you can't be... You will never become enough in your eyes and therefor not in the eyes of anyone else if you're always pointing out your own shortcomings and never considering the things you're awesome for!  It's okay, and I would venture to say healthy to be self aware enough to notice some things that could use improvement but if you're always dwelling on the negative you'll end up wondering you would even try to improve such a mess... And that's just crazy! There are not many people any of us would relegate to the "non reformable" (yes, I just made up a word!) pile but somehow we land our own self image there easily. I guess all I'm saying is give yourself the same benefit you would give anyone else and lighten up, you're not that bad!

During this season of buying, giving, smiling, hugging and loving, don't forget to do the same for yourself... Get a hot chocolate, give yourself some time, smile on the inside and learn to love yourself for who you are instead of hating yourself for who you've not yet become.

... David encouraged himself in the LORD his God. 1 Samuel 30:6

1 comment:

Rob Greene said...

Awesome blog. Well thought out and well written. Ty.