Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mistakes & Excuses

Hi guys,  I just wanted to talk about something I've been thinking of a lot lately... It's mistakes.  We all make them... Yes, we all, even me, even you!  The thing about mistakes is, no one is exempt, we would like to think some people are. Beyoncé with her flawless voice really disappointed when it was discovered she may have lip-synced to the National Anthem at President Obama's second inauguration. Lots of singers have to lip-sync at some point but Beyoncé!? I mean she's so good, why would she ever!? Never mind people get sick, never mind the flu that has been spreading throughout the US to the point some States have declared a medical emergency... Don't get confused here, I'm offering possible reasoning behind Beyoncé's decision, not excuses... Which leads me to one of my main concerns... Excuses.

There have been some situations around me lately in which some people have been acting poorly at best and some kind-spirited people have been making excuses for their actions... And although I think "reasons" need to be considered, I believe "excuses" are unacceptable and furthermore some behavior or decisions cannot be excused... Forgiven? Absolutely. Excused? No.  One of the more popular excuses I've heard is along the lines of "well, they can't help it, look at their past and how they were raised... They get it honest... They're just acting how they've been taught to.." And to some extent it's true that how you're raised changes you, it definitely has an impact but isn't it also true that once you transition into adulthood you gain some insight into the responsibility of being a good and responsible human being... You learn, you change and you grow... To excuse bad behavior with your  past is just not acceptable once you're an adult.. Okay, so maybe you are just doing what you've seen done by others but if you're told it's wrong and it's explained to you then it's time to make a change, it's time to grow up!  The thing about excuses is we could all have them, each and every person in your life has had some life altering trauma or some idiot (I know that's harsh but I honestly couldn't think of a better word) role model who messed them up... Dr. Phil always says something along the lines of  'there comes a time in every life where you have a decision to make that has the potential to course correct your whole past' and I think it's the same with growing up, when you become an adult you gain the ability to know right from wrong, people tell you when you're wrong more directly and you're allowed to ask for explanation if you don't understand and at some point during all this realization it's up to you to course correct your thinking on those subjects as well as your actions. So no more excuses!

The second part of this blog is dedicated to those of us who have let go of the excuses and see our mistakes plainly and honestly.  We don't offer excuses because we know we are wrong... But as much as excuses are inappropriate so is beating yourself down! It's a thin line we must walk between always excusing out thoughts, words and actions just so we can negate change or responsibility and dwelling on our flaws, mistakes or habits to the point we cannot progress.  As much as we all need to grow up and take a honest look at our lives and change the things we need to in order to become better people and Christians we also shouldn't allow our focus to be on the negative.  Think about this honestly with me: You're a Christian, there's something you struggle with, you really want to do right but that area just seems so impossible for you to overcome... I wonder what God is concentrating on... Actually, I think I know; the Bible says God looks on the heart (1 Samuel 16:7!) God knows you aren't just presuming on His mercy, He can see you sincerely desire change and He can also see you're human and since He created humanity He understands that sometimes intentions aren't enough. So stop looking at your mistakes through your own eyes and take a minute to consider what Jesus thinks of you!  It's is not the desire of God for you to feel unloved, unimportant or devalued because you struggle, it's his intention that you realize that's the human condition and it's what keeps us needing Him! Paul wrote "For what I do, I do not recognize as my own action. What I desire to do: is not what I do, but what I am averse to is what I do." Romans 7:15 (Weymouth New Testament.) Even the Apostle Paul knew what it was to disappoint himself with mistakes but think of how we now respect his ministry and how great of a Christian we think he was!

The bottom line:  since we are all human, at least last time I checked I wasn't sprouting a tail or wings... we will make mistakes, there are things we will want to do, commitments we will desire to make and we will fail.  Don`t offer excuses for your mistakes and poor actions, offer recognition, repentance, retribution, solution, change and forgiveness of self! When you make mistakes don`t dwell on them and give up because you've got God on your side and nothing is impossible for you now (Luke 1:37!)

No comments: