Thursday, August 16, 2012

50 Shades of... Red

Sooo... One of my BFFs just went to NYC on vacation with her family, I miss that city so much and need to get my little rear-end back there ASAP! I was looking at my friends pictures on FaceBook and ran across the new Pepsi sign... Their new slogan is "Live for Now!" Hmmm... Isn't that ironic? The whole problem with the economy is that people and businesses lived only for the NOW and now that we are in the future of that now we are having to dig out of the consequences of living for the now... I mean really, the whole problem with the government is trying to dig out from that "live for now" mentality and try to make a better future.  So If it didn't work for the economy as a whole how come Pepsi thinks it will work for us?

"Live for now" is actually thick throughout our culture and media these days... I mean, we so allow our youth to "live for now" we give out condoms in school instead of really teaching them the cons of promiscuity... It's not just pregnancy kiddos, google STD (I guess 50 Shades of Red may not be just a play on blushing, huh?).  And the physical is just one aspect! What about the emotional tole? Even you who "love the fun of it," I know it gets old... Waking up in the morning with no strings attached may sound freeing until you're looking for an actual relationship... Then what? I have a male friend who is all about the hook up, I mean seriously you could make a movie out of his life but the thing is, I've had some serious conversation with him outside of the expectations of him upholding the face of "I do this because it's awesome!" and he admits although he honestly thinks it's fun he would never consider one of his hook-up women for a relationship and the thing about that is no only does it suck for those girls but it's not so great for him because in his words "the kind of girl I want... Or any guy wants really... At this point why would she want me?" And there you have it, from someone who "lives for the now" in every sense of the phrase... When you live for the now you have to be aware you may be giving up your future.

I've been hearing A LOT about this 50 Shades of Grey book that's out and I'm not going to lie, it actually sounded like a tempting read "When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her..." but (prepare yourself for a response that sounds like it's from a granny) I'm not going to be reading it any time soon. Why!? Because I have read the back cover and heard enough to know what it's really about... Honestly? We're going to have a mini baby-boom over this!? I have a future husband to think about... For one, I'm inexperienced now and I really would like to keep myself that way for him... I have made it a point to keep myself away from the physical aspects of temptation but I want it to be more than that, I don't want to raise my expectations to unrealistic levels (and from what I hear from married and more experienced ladies, the expectations of this novel are unrealistically carried into real life.) And a bit of an aside here, I'm not a "prude" by any definition but I am now and will remain "innocent" by definition.  Also, to the "experienced Christian" guy who told me I don't want a man who isn't promiscuous because I'll be disappointed... Actually, that's exactly what I'm waiting for :o) Furthermore, I don't want to have to turn 50 shades of red when he asks me about my own past.

The problems with "live for now," unfortunately, are not limited to economy or sex but extend to every area of life... College is fun, there are lots of parties, new friends and lots of hotties but if you just "live for now" and go to every party, drink and smoke it up with your new friends and never study chances are you're not going to get very far into the second semester... So what did you pay all that money out for? Do you want a future career? What about money? If you save it up you can buy a home, new car, pony, whatever but if you blow it all on booze every weekend all you get is a hangover.

Most importantly, what about God? You can "live for now" and put God off all you want but here's the thing, what if you don't get a tomorrow? I know,  I know, "we're young, we need to live in the present!" but please don't make that mistake, living "in the present" and living "for the now" are two totally different things.  Yes, we need to be present, don't worry about tomorrow but that doesn't mean we get to make decisions without consequence... My advice: take one day out, sit down and think about what you want your life to look like in the future... Now don't worry about ten years down the road or anything, I'm not much on planning my life out that way either, but just think about some of your goals, your wants in life. If you want to be married, what kind of partner do you want to attract? If you want to be a doctor or lawyer what are the requirements outside of school? (PS. if you want to be a lawyer you may want to keep from being arrested, you have to have a completely clear record before you're admitted to the bar and if it's not clear now the eraser is not very accessible.) Do you want a better vehicle next year? etc... Make your decisions about morals and actions now, it's easy to still live in the present while being mindful of your future.

Most importantly, do you want to go to heaven or hell? Don't know if you believe in all that spiritual stuff? Well, that's okay but here's my question for your consideration "if you don't believe, what if you're wrong?" I mean I can not believe in gravity all I want to but if I just say I'm going to jump off the Empire State Building because since I don't believe in gravity it can't effect me I'll soon find out I'm wrong but when I'm nothing but a puddle on the ground it's probably a little late for realizing I'm wrong.  So that's the consideration, if you are wrong about this God thing when do you want to find out about it? Once you're plummeting into destruction or while you have a chance to save yourself? Of course your choice would be the latter so the next step is to start digging... For you proof wanters I suggest a few things that are not Bible based or Jesus teaching based but a former atheist's, Lee Strobel, scientific and historical study:

Case for the Creator
Case for Christ

And lastly, Denish D'Souza... His debates are not scriptural based and do not assume Christianity is true in any way but debates from the bases of science, philosophy and history. Here are a couple of his clips I think you should consider:

Answering Difficult Questions
Atheist's Most Potent Arguements

No comments: