Thursday, March 3, 2011

Searching for Shells

Hi honeys!

I'm going to be really honest here and probably break every writers rule possible.... But, I have no idea what to say to you guys today!  I'm tired and uninspired... Although, my poetry skills seem to be pouring out haha!  Really, if you are looking for a serious, deep and life altering blog this week keep going because this one is most likely not to take a serious turn with a life moral being laid out to challenge you at the end.

I suppose I'll just share what I am excited about... I've started the countdown to a vacation in the sun!  So excited! I'm going on a family trip to Florida for the first time!  Tanning lotion all ordered, flights booked and I think I'm going to even buy a new summer dress next week!  I'm not doing the Disney week or anything like that; just relaxing in the sun, shopping, Universal and some church! 

There is one thing I am really looking forward to... Going to a beach to search for sea shells!  Most people can't wait to swim in the ocean or lay in the sun but I just want a shell!  The thing is, I'm a bit of a 'fraidy cat... Scared of water creatures that could, sting, eat or just scare me.  I mean seriously, I'll be lucky to get in the water past my knees and the first jelly fish or eight legged starfish I see will have me out of the water faster than... a fish out of a boat (yeh, I don't know if anyone actually says that but really, I'm tired people! ha!)

More than being scared by a fish I really do not want to repeat my last beach experience! I was searching for sea shells up and down the shores of Parlee Beach before going to the airport to pick-up a friend. It was a gorgeous day, hot but there was a breeze to keep you from really feeling like you might melt but not strong enough that you had to worry about your skirt flying over your head either.  Finding shells wasn't going so well, there were only a few and none larger than a quarter.  I did see some clam shells that may have been OK for what I am looking for but they all had been chipped apart by sea gulls.  I decided if I got into the water I would be able to maybe see a shell on the ocean floor that a gull hadn't ruined yet... And, I was right!  There was a rather small but perfectly white clam shell, in fact it hadn't even been opened up.  Now, I am a blond but I am aware that means the little water creature is still in there, but I'm not really scared of the little ones (unless they are those hermit crabs that come out pinching, they are scary!)  Anyway, I also realize that the little water creatures in their shells know when they are being picked up and they never peek out of the shell!  So I picked the shell up and we journeyed down the beach to where my mother was sitting, waiting to see my treasure, I'm sure! ha!  Just as I walked up to her it happened; that same feeling as if a kitten were licking my hand, that rough but wet little tongue... Looking down, I opened my hand and to my horror it looked like a tongue but not a kitten tongue, oh no, it was too large for any kitten I've seen!  That silly clam came out of his shell and was licking me... Well, OK, he was just trying to escape but it looked like a tongue flailing around in my hand.  I screamed and jumped around for a second before coming to my senses and realizing I had an audience of approximately 100 beach going strangers starring at me wondering what was going on!  Hahah, I was embarrassed but just looked at mom and said "I WAS LICKED BY A CLAM!" 

PS.  No clams or any other water creature/animal were harmed in the making of this story.  I did throw him into the sand but did not step on him and after the shock wore off I did scoop him up quickly and put him back into the ocean water so he wouldn't get eaten by a gull or dry up! :o)

2 comments:

*AMY* said...

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Great story! Thanks for sharing! When I went to Florida, I didn't have any creepy experiences in the ocean and I didn't recieve licking of any kind! So happy sea shell hunting!

SuzieK said...

Haha! It was very scary indeed! hahah! Thanks for the mini pep-talk... I saw a picture of an eight legged starfish in orlando on a beach yesterday that freaked me out too! ha!