Thursday, November 18, 2010

"Procrastinators Unite... Tomorrow."

Hey guys,  sorry I haven't written anything AGAIN in a while!  I have no excuses... The other day I saw a quote on Twitter (SueAnnCanada is my name if you want to follow me by the way) "If you don't have anything to write, write that." -unknown.  So my intentions were to follow that word of advice... But then I realized it's not that I don't have anything to write, it's that I am a PROCRASTINATOR!!  I have had many ideas and things I wanted to share with you but I just felt like I would remember to write them at a more convenient time... Well, no more!  I promise to write them somehow at the moment and post at the more convenient time!

That being said I would like to share the lesson with you... I do procrastinate in every area of life, not just in writing.  But I do feel the need to change and hopefully admittance & commitment to behavioural change through this blog will help me to be aware of and discontinue my lazy ways.

See, that's just it "lazy" is a very offensive word these days... We have come up with many other excuses: "I'm too busy" (yeh, doing what, playing angry birds or watching the latest episode of your favorite shows?), "later" (when?), "I'm soooo tired!" (from what, the majority of people I know work in offices, tired from sitting all day!?) etc.  In all seriousness, it's not because we are busy, tired or even that we are procrastinators, it's because we are lazy!  We no longer use our time wisely, instead of spending quality time with our friends and family we sit to watch TV in the same room; at least when we can agree on the show. We no longer read, I mean really, I do read a bit but it is a discipline not enjoyment anymore and when I am reading I spend almost as much time directing my mind back to the words on the page than enjoying my imagination paint the pictures of the stories!  Don't get me wrong, I love Grey's, Big Bang Theory and The Office as much as the next person but since when are fictional characters more important than the people actually connected to our daily lives?!  It's a little crazy, don't ya think?

Look, I'm not asking for a huge commitment here but maybe we all should take a step back and think about all the things we are missing out on in our lives... And the people who are missing out on what we have to offer when we take just a small amount of time to love and acknowledge them!  The benefit of building meaning in our lives and the lives of others should far outweigh a missed show or game on our IPOD!  And if we sincerely search our hearts we will recognize every word in this blog to be true. 

So here's what I purpose:  You don't even have to miss your shows (who would have to now with Internet & T-vo now anyway?)  Take an extra hour a day, all at once or spread out over 15 minute intervals to connect with family, friends, God and ourselves.  Even if it's at suppertime, lets turn the TV off and sit at that old dusty table.  Or when a friend comes to visit TALK, instead of turning on the TV and surfing the channels until you settle to watch a show you're not remotely (no pun intended) interested in. Read the bible, listen to some Christian music, meditate on God, write something spiritually edifying or just TALK to Him! Get to know yourself in quiet... Seriously, something I learned a long time ago that has helped me build confidence and trust "if you can't be quiet with yourself you aren't comfortable in your own skin." So just be for once, let the hustle and bustle of life (especially headed into the Christmas season) melt away for a bit and slow your mind... You'll be surprised how much you will enjoy quiet time once you're used to it, how much you will learn about yourself (which at first is a lot of "Oh my goodness, I really just can't be" and "I need to slow down this can't be that important, I can't even slow my thoughts for 10 seconds!") and how much calmer you will be in every situation in life in general.  So can we do it?  Will we do it?  I say "YES!" now who's with me!?

2 comments:

Michelle Palmer said...

YES!
Not offensive in the least. True...sad sad sad..but true. I have felt very sad on several occassions when we have gone to visit friends only to have them turn on the TV and half listen to that and half converse with us. What happened to sitting around the table, eating, talking, playing games...just being together. I for one (or for 2) miss the old days before TV, internet and all the gadgets. I want my family to know each other and to know other people..in real life. LOL Sorry this isn't my blog! but it could be...I couldn't have said it better. I just didn't have time to write it! HAHAH! just joking! Thanks! you're a great writer and I always enjoy what you have to say.

Anonymous said...

Yes! It's strange because I was talking to a friend last night and we were talking about how technology has taken over our lives. I feel like I'm missing out on time with my daughter and in truth I am. I miss just taking time to just be. So this Friday I am turning my cell phone off after work and I am not turning it back on until my daughter goes to bed. My goal is to do this 3 times a week. Hope I stick to it Sue Ling!