Thursday, August 26, 2010

"I got this!" - God

Sometimes I wonder why we waste time arguing over things that don't really matter at all... I mean really, who cares if we look at something the same way if the result is the same?  Are we really that self-righteous that we must have other people look at everything in the exact same way we do?  I get it, I like being correct just as much as the guy next door but I could not care less how he comes to know I'm correct. 

I've been accused, and rightfully so, of being an analytical mind... Possibly a little neurotic, which I am not accepting of quite yet ha!  I've also been accused of being a pessimist, which I am not.  I am definitely a realist and I do contemplate what the worst outcome of any given situation is so I'm not taken off guard... And I know what you're thinking "Ahhh, hello!!  That is being a pessimist!"  but that's not exactly true.  First of all when you take law they teach you to be analytical (not that I, personally, needed much help in that arena) and also to think of the worst possible outcome of a circumstance so 1) You can stop it before it happens 2) You will not be taken by surprise 3) You can prepare yourself to handle the situation correctly. * Interjection: It may be benefit to everyone if each person had a bit of thinking before the "handle the situation"... Just something to think about. * I learned well before college to protect myself via analysis and prediction of an outcome, I've strangely tempered it into being prepared instead of expectation... Therein lies the difference between pessimism and realism, the expectation of the outcome... You may know all the possibilities without expecting the worst.

Two of my mothers sisters have been diagnosed with breast cancer in the past 24 months and a few weeks ago my mother had a call back to the hospital for further testing...  I immediately began to think of what I would need to do to fully support both mother and myself during treatments.  I made calls, looked on-line and made a list of needless bills I could cancel... I was also told I was expecting the worst and being pessimistic instead of trusting God.... 

Let's get this straight:  I was PREPARING for the worst not EXPECTING it so that takes care of pessimism. As for trust in God, I think we should look at the definition of another word "denial."  I have an aunt (who was not the person to tell me I wasn't trusting God by the way) who pretty much lives in denial of any upsetting issue and I always think it must be pretty much a blissful existence... I have quite a spectacular imagination (if I do say so myself ha!) but to just pretend things that upset me are not so and actually convince myself of it would be wonderful!  But I don't think that's really what is the norm for most people and certainly not in my case. God never once said "pretend your enemies don't exist" or "just forget about that diagnosis and it will go away" or "get yourself an imaginary friend when you feel alone and they will come to life just like Pinocchio!" But he did say in Matthew 6:12 "Forgive us for the wrong things we have done, the way we forgive those who have done wrong things to us." and in Deuteronomy 20:4 "For the Lord your God is He Who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to save you!" Exodus 15:26 "...I am God your healer." and Isiah 53:5 "But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed." Matthew 28:20 "...And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." and in 2 Thessalonians 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you." 

In my own paraphrase "Don't pretend enemies, troubles, fears, problems, sickness aren't there; realize God is and He said "I got this!"  So, yes, I see the severity and reality in life but I also see the Power and Love in Jesus Christ and I choose to let the battle be His not mine, I don't really look good in camouflage anyway ;o)   -2 Chronicles 20:15

1 comment:

Your next door neighbour at the office said...

Wow Sue Ann, You definiatly are powerful with your words! I'm glad I finally had the chance to read some of your blogs. I look forward to more.